Friday 13 April 2012

Aussies on the Road ...Y'all

Well here we are settled in after a HUGE day at The Days Inn ~ Carlsbad. Y'all read that right ~ Carlsbad. Its just over the border in New Mexico and oh my ......Interesting town. Mr Fab and I spent the day using the word "Y'all". We reckon we sound pretty darn American!
Me: Can I get Y'all a drink?
Mr Fab: Y'all can indeed and thank Y'all
Me: Y'all is welcome.
Silly but makes the time go faster. The landscape has been amazing. Miles and miles of breathtaking beauty and then dry sparse arid open plains with nothing but ramshackle abodes and maybe a raggedy cow. I also sang to Mr Fab ~ The Theme song for The Beverly Hillbillies. I told him he should be extremely chuffed to have such a multi talented wife and he said he is concerned he has a wally of a wife........ I think its pretty darn special to be able to sing the entire Beverly Hillbillies Theme and now you will not be able to get it out of your head...bahahahahahahahaha!!!!! We drove from San Antonio through Fort Stockton, Pecos (seriously Pecos) and through Loving to Carlsbad New Mexico.
 We have checked our maps and it looks like we will go to Flagstaff Arizona tomorrow. Firstly though we HAVE to do a side trip to Roswell New Mexico as its only and hour or so up the road. Cant come all this way and not go to visit now can we?????
We stopped today for a cuppa and to stretch our legs. We wandered into the Diner and it was EXACTLY like the movies!!! We just sat (at the counter of course) and watched everything that was happening. I forgot to mention ~ The odd waitress plonked down 2 cups of coffee with a spoon in the top to have with our Cobbler and it was refilled 3 times.We also ordered the traditional Apple Cobbler which we shared just so we could say we have had a cobbler!!! It was scrumptious by the way. The entire cost of this was $7.76 including all the taxes....... I thought it might be boring driving and driving but there is so much to see!!! We did the Interstate 10 once again until our GPS told us to turn off and head toward Albuquerque?. So now we were on the back roads and oh my is it different!!!! We had not seen any truck stops of anything for miles and when we came to the New Mexico sign I said I had to pull over and take a pic as well as find a bush to do a wee!!! I was worried sick about being bitten by a bloody rattlesnake but happy to report all is well. A car drove past and I was concerned they may have seen me but Mr Fab said they were probably dazzled by the sunlight reflecting off my bottom.........rude man!

We are not even sure what road we are on but as long as that damn GPS is not saying "recalculating" we are happy. We anticipate being at The Grand Canyon Skywalk by Saturday morning.

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear about the grand canyon..our travel agent said the south rim was the best..let me know!

    ReplyDelete